Getting Back To PSK31 in DM780 and Other Digital Modes
How to Get Started with PSK31 and Other Digital Modes in DM780
Are you interested in getting started with PSK31 and other digital modes? If so, you've come to the right place! DM780 is a great software program that makes it easy to get started with digital modes. Here's a quick guide to getting started with PSK31 and other digital modes in DM780.
- First, you'll need to download and install DM780. It's part of the Ham Radio Deluxe program and you can find it on the Ham Radio Deluxe website. Once you've installed the software, you'll need to configure it for your particular radio. This includes setting up the audio input and output in DM780, as well as the radio control settings. In addition to the software, setup your radio for CAT control. If you're using the Icom 7300 or Icom 7610 check out Icom 7300 Screen Captures and Icom 7610 Screen Captures. More will be covered in the video below.
- .Once you've got your radio and DM780 set up, you can start exploring the digital modes. To get started with PSK31, you'll need to select the "PSK31" mode from the Mode drop-down menu. You'll also need to select the appropriate frequency for your radio.
- Once you've got the mode and frequency set up, you can start receiving PSK31 signals. To do this, find a PSK31 signal in the waterfall and then select it using your mouse. You should see the decoding in the upper window pane.
- To Transmit, first setup some macros or use the default macros provided with DM780. I suggest finding a free frequency in the waterfall and calling CQ. Use the CQ macro and setup your transceiver for approx. 30 watts output. More on this in the video.
Once you've got the hang of PSK31, you can start exploring other digital modes. DM780 supports a wide variety of digital modes, including RTTY, Olivia, MFSK, and more. To switch to a different mode, simply select it from the Mode drop-down menu.
That's all there is to it! With DM780, getting started with PSK31 and other digital modes is easy. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and start exploring the digital world!
Tips for Optimizing Your Digital Mode Setup in DM780 for PSK31 and Other Modes
1. Make sure your sound card is properly configured. This is the most important step in optimizing your digital mode setup. You'll need to make sure that your sound card is properly configured in DM780 so that it can receive and transmit audio signals.
2. Adjust your audio levels. You'll want to make sure that your audio levels are set correctly in DM780. This will help ensure that your signal is being transmitted and received at the right levels.
3. Use a good antenna. A good antenna is essential for optimizing your digital mode setup. Make sure you have a good antenna that is properly tuned for the frequencies you are using.
4. Use a wide filter. A good wide filter will help receiving more signals in the waterfall and improve your chances of making a contact.
7. Use a good computer. A good computer is essential for optimizing your digital mode setup. Make sure you have a good computer that is capable of running Ham Radio Deluxe properly and without a delay or glitch.
9. Experiment with different settings. Don't be afraid to experiment with different settings in DM780. This will help you find the best settings for your particular setup.
10. Have fun! Digital mode setup can be a lot of fun. Don't forget to have fun while you're optimizing your setup.
I'll have much more on Ham Radio Deluxe as I get it configured on the new PC.
Stay tuned for an upcoming comparison video, where we'll dive into the IC-7610 and Elecraft K3S transceivers' performance. Together, we'll assess their audio quality and signal strength on a specific band, ensuring a comprehensive evaluation. Don't forget to subscribe and you'll be notified when the video is released!
To stay up to date with Mr. B and I on our travels, follow us at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. If you have any questions or comments about our journey, we invite you to join the conversation in our comment section here or at YouTube–it not only helps you but other readers as well! We’re incredibly thankful for all of our subscribers–their support makes this website possible. So please stay in touch and warmest regards & best 73s! – Rich, K0PIR
SILVER Subscription Membership (Remove Google Ads)
With a $4.95 donation I'll make you a login that will bypass Google Advertisements. It will be good for three months. Just for now, please consider it as a small one-time donation.
You get access to www.K0PIR.us for 3 months without any Google Advertisements.
Price: $4.95 for 3 months.
It is very easy in DM780 to find a PSK31 frequency. See the video above, but just in case here are my favorite frequencies:
7.070 MHz 40 meter (region 2)
10.142 MHz 30 meter
14.070 MHz 20 meter